Inclusive prosperity: Australia’s record and the road ahead
…But the evidence of this paper is worrying:
- income inequality in Australia has been rising and we are now in the bottom half of the equality ladder – those at the top have been taking a greater share of Australia’s income – this isn’t yet as bad as in the United States, but it’s getting worse
- the gender pay gap is widening
- Australians with disadvantage are being left behind
- wealth inequality, especially driven by housing, is far worse than income inequality
- Most worrying, since the mid-2000s, wages have failed to keep pace with productivity improvements.